Keep your footwear looking fab in four easy steps
Kickers shoes and boots don’t just look and feel great – they're built to last. And, with a little TLC, you can make sure your favourite shoes and boots go on working hard – and looking good – for many seasons to come. Just follow our simple, four-step guide:
1. CLEAN: Remove loose dirt with a cloth or brush and use a good quality cleaning product on stains.
2. CARE: Keep your Kickers in great shape with a nourishing conditioning cream or polish.
3. PROTECT: Shield against rain and everyday stains with a spray protector. Spray new shoes before wearing for maximum protection – a must for suede and nubuck finishes!
4. DEODORISE: Keep your Kickers smelling sweet with a footwear deodorant spray.
Cherry Blossom shoe care - the perfect match for your Kickers
Your Kickers deserve to keep shining on! The more your shoes are exposed to the elements, the more often you should clean and protect them. Using specialist products from our shoe care partner, Cherry Blossom, will help prolong the life of the uppers and restore condition and shine.
Here’s our guide to caring for different fabrics (if in doubt, check the label or product description online and your Cherry Blossom product details for advice):
Smooth and grained leather
- • Dust the shoe using a soft brush or a slightly damp cloth.
- • Apply neutral cleansing milk – such as Cherry Blossom Universal Cleaner – with a soft cloth or Handy Deluxe Sponge.
- • Nourish smooth leather with a cream polish such as Cherry Blossom Leather Cream, Regimental Polish Renovating Jar Cream, or Scuff Cover. Apply gently in a circular motion, being careful to avoid contact with parts of the shoe that are a different colour (like contrast panels, laces or stitching).
- • Leave for a few minutes until the shoes look dull and matt, and then buff with a clean brush to bring out the shine.
- • Always allow to dry properly before wearing.
- • Polish with a wool cloth.
- • Protect with Cherry Blossom Universal Protector spray.
- • Deodorise with Cherry Blossom Shoe Deodorant.
Designer’s tip: “For black leather shoes – as they get scuffed a lot – I would recommend buying a black leather polish. For brown shoes, be very careful in matching the polish, as applying the wrong one could change the look of your shoes! For all other colours, you’ll be fine with a neutral polish.” – Justin, Kickers menswear designer
Nubuck and suede
- • Brush gently with a soft brush, a nubuck eraser or ultra soft abrasive paper - the Cherry Blossom Suede and Nubuck Multibrush is perfect
- • For persevering stains you can use a neutral shampoo or Cherry Blossom Universal Cleaner to clean the leather in depth.
- • With suede and nubuck suede shoes, the colour may run. You can occasionally revive the colour by using a protecting colour-spray such as Cherry Blossom Universal Protector spray. The Suede and Nubuck Renovator Spray can also help to restore colour.
- • Deodorise with Cherry Blossom Shoe Deodorant
- • Polish occasionally with good quality, neutral wax, such as Cherry Blossom Regimental Gloss or Dubbin Wax.
- • Use Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Renovator for waxy leathers and Leather Cream Patent Care Spray for metallic patent finishes.
- • Remove stains with ultra-fine abrasive paper.
- • After a while your Kickers will take on a rustic look (like a vintage French wine, some things just get better with age).
More top tips - expert advice on looking after your shoes
- • Change shoes regularly to give each pair time to air before you next wear them. This will help maintain the inner linings.
- • For closed styles, use a shoehorn, and remember to undo the laces or buckle when you are putting shoes on or taking them off. This will help them keep their shape.
- • If your shoes are wet, allow them to dry naturally. Never use any kind of artificial heat when drying (yes, that does rule out the old hair-dryer trick).
- • It's OK to put polish on the seams and stitching, providing the colour matches!
- • Always clean the leather before applying any polish, but please don’t put your shoes or boots in a washing machine! (Hint: remember to put down some old newspapers or other protective coverings before you start polishing – to prevent staining floor coverings or furniture).
- • Never apply spray or polish to wet shoes, and allow polish to dry before wearing your Kickers so that it can penetrate the uppers properly.
- • Sometimes, colours may run onto socks or feet due to perspiration, especially with unlined leathers. To prevent this from happening, you can apply a thin layer of waterproofing or colour-stop spray.